Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ubuntu's LTS Release Schedule

A few days ago I accidentally came across the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Release Schedule. I am copying it here:

December 3rd, 2009 – Alpha 1 release

January 7th, 2010 – Alpha 2 release

February 4th, 2010 – Alpha 3 release

March 4th, 2010 – Beta1 release

April 1st, 2010 – Beta2 release

April 15th, 2010 – Release Candidate

April 29th, 2010 – Final release of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

So, they have three weeks between Beta1 and Beta2 and then only two weeks more before release. What I don't understand is this: how the hell can they guarantee that they will fix all critical beta bugs within a total of five weeks? And since I know for a fact that they can't (nobody can), it follows that they will simply release no matter what.

So, let me repeat that. No matter what remaining bugs there are, the Ubuntu LTS version will be released on time. With the bugs. Why bother with the betas at all then? I have to say this is not what I would expect from a "Long Term Support" version or like to run on my servers. Or my desktops.

No comments:

Post a Comment